This week we started by looking at how God created in people, as well as animals, the desire to be joined with another person/animal--to feel connected, significant, and valued. To be loved. Thus, when one is added to one, the result is one.
Jesus replied. “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female. For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark 10:6-9
Before Sue Marie and I were married, I had read Into the Glory, a book by Jamie Buckingham about the Jungle Aviation and Radio Service. It mentioned that Jim and Elisabeth Elliot had inscribed in their wedding bands Psalms 34:3. The verse reads: "Oh magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt His name together." Sue Marie and I were inspired by the Elliot's lives and felt that the verse in Psalms explained perfectly what we believed was the ultimate purpose for our marriage. We chose to inscribe the same verse in our wedding bands.
The last scene in the movie: The Notebook (by Nicholas Sparks) is a wonderful example of how two can become one.
She asked, "Do you think our love can take us away together?"
He replied, "I think our love can do anything we want it to do."
God desires to have a oneness with us that exceeds our human imaginations. It is His greatest command that we love Him above all else. Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord
your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This
is the first and greatest commandment. Matthew 22:37-38.
God is working in us to teach His highest goals until His
purpose and our purpose become one. I spent the remainder of the class highlighting five men who walked with God and became one with God. How God's purpose became their purpose. These men were: Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Peter.
Next week, I will continue with the lesson, FUZZY MATH, as we look at another very interesting character: Habbakuk. Habbakuk's situation will point us to SIX STEPS TO GETTING TIGHT WITH GOD.
No comments:
Post a Comment