Three letters sum up Sunday's Lesson: WOW!! Those three letters must be followed with three words: GOD IS GOOD!!
The decision to continue last week's lesson, Releasing the Blessing, was made after God starting working in my life last week. Little did I know, at the time, He was preparing me for what would probably be the most amazing class we have witnessed since we began teaching the You & Me class in November 2013. When God takes hold, as He has done with this very special group of young men and women, there is a surprise around every corner.
It would be impossible for me to describe in this post the events in such a way that you could realize the magnitude of what God did on Sunday in the classroom, but here is my summary:
On the Sunday prior, four class members were selected and given money to do with as they felt God might lead them. The basis for the distribution of the money to the three class members was the Parable of the Talents as described in Matthew 25:14-30. A neatly wrapped stack of fifty, one-dollar bills represented one talent. So, one person was given five talents ($250); another two talents ($100); and a third one talent ($50). The fourth person was given a $100 bill that the person was told to do with as they so desired. The total cash given to class members was $500. The only catch was that each person must return in 7 days and report to the class what they had done with the money they had been given (as was required of the servants in the parable).
I have used the illustration of giving $100 for many years. I use it to show the emotional power of money as I teach the principle of ownership/stewardship. I typically start the class by handing the $100 bill to a person on the front row. I then ask how they feel after receiving the money. After they have expressed their enthusiasm for the many things they might do with the money, I have them give the money to someone else in the class. I then ask how they feel now that the money is gone. I also ask the new recipient how they feel having been given $100. As the emotional ups and downs take their course throughout the class, there eventually comes a time when the recipient catches on and shows no emotion when handed the money, assuming that they will soon be asked to pass the bill to another person. At this point, the lesson is understood. The money does not belong to them; they do not OWN it. I then tell the person to keep the money and do with it as they wish, but to report back to the class. Without exception, the "steward" of the $100 has always returned with a powerful story of how God worked in their life, their families life, and all those with whom they shared the experience.
Using the Parable of the Talents and the bundles of cash was something new that God had put on my heart. Not only was it a test for me to donate the extra $400, I realized this week that without my doubling the original talents (for those who did likewise), the lesson would not be complete. God put this thought on my heart on Wednesday of last week. I labored with it and prayed:
"God, if you want me to go through with this, I will need another $1,000--20 talents ($50/talent). Where am I supposed to get the money? I can't keep doing this. Show me how and I will do it."
The $1,000 I needed included my doubling the $100 I gave the fourth person, if that person did likewise. I thought, what are the chances of any of these people doubling the money I gave them? In the past, I have seen people donate the money to worthy causes, but never, in all the years I have done this, have I seen anyone add to it.
On Friday morning, I knew for certain that, in faith, I was supposed to withdraw $1,000 from my bank account and be prepared to double the amounts I had given out. Two conditions: First, when the person reported to the class what they had done with the money, they must report that they had doubled the original amount; second condition: the money must be given to a worthy cause. If they doubled the original amount, I would also double the original amount.
I was preparing to go to the bank Friday after lunch. Just prior to leaving, my wife handed me the mail. In the mail was a letter from my previous employer that basically stated:
On Friday morning, I knew for certain that, in faith, I was supposed to withdraw $1,000 from my bank account and be prepared to double the amounts I had given out. Two conditions: First, when the person reported to the class what they had done with the money, they must report that they had doubled the original amount; second condition: the money must be given to a worthy cause. If they doubled the original amount, I would also double the original amount.
I was preparing to go to the bank Friday after lunch. Just prior to leaving, my wife handed me the mail. In the mail was a letter from my previous employer that basically stated:
".... is providing retiree plan participant enrolled in the retiree medical coverage with a disbursement check. The attached check is provided to you and your covered dependents, and this notice ensures that we have complied with the notice requirements under ERRP."
I have never received such a check. The check was in the amount of $1,112.80... go figure. $1,000 to double the original $500 I had given the class the week prior; $112 to make my gift to my church of 10%; leaving me with the $1,000 I needed to double the talents (and double the $100 given to the 4th person). So now the question remained what would the class members report on Sunday? Here is what happened:
The person I'd given the $100 reported that they would be giving the $100 to their church and match the $100 and give it to their favorite charity. Along with this report was a moving testimony of what God had done in this person's life that week.
The person I'd given the 5 talents ($250) reported that they felt led to help the children in five families that they were already working with. They then reported that they were matching the $250 from their own money and doubling their efforts. Another amazing story from a pure heart accompanied this report.
The person given the 2 talents ($100) turned to a Evangelical Christian humanitarian aid organization (World Vision) that they had a burden for prior to receiving the money. With the $100 they were going to give a goat and two chickens to help feed hungry children. In addition, they were going to match the $100 and give an additional two chickens and a goat. The story behind this gift and the provision of God was another story of God working in this couple's life before we ever had this class. Through divine circumstances, God provided the money for this couple to give the extra $100.
The person given the 1 talent ($50), thankfully, did not bury the talent in the ground. Instead, they communicated with their company and asked if they could buy all the old, unused computer hardware that the company had piled in closets. After making it through multiple layers of approval, the company agreed. This person then sold all of the surplus equipment (most of it broken and worthless) on eBay and raised $2,600 (in only 3 days). This couple wanted the money God gave them to go to Operation Christmas Child. So the class is rallying together this week (Friday is the deadline) to convert the cash into supplies for the boxes and will ship 100 shoe boxes which will each be used to teach a child about the love of God. The company this person works for has also agreed to make this an annual event. All because of 1 talent ($50) touched by God's hand, we have seen the windows of Heaven open wide.
I distributed the $1,000 to all for doubling their original amounts. This time, I told the people receiving the money that I did not want a report, as they had proven to be trustworthy. "Whoever is faithful in small matters will be faithful in large ones..." Luke 16:10.
How exciting to see what God can do with a willing servant. He truly can "open the windows of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."
How exciting to see what God can do with a willing servant. He truly can "open the windows of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."
"The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." 2 Chronicles 16:9
The You & Me class has seen and amazing example of what it means to give with a pure heart and how to truly experience the blessings of the Lord. The Lord is able if we are willing. He turned $500 into over $3,500 in less than two weeks. All used for the Glory of God as an investment in Eternity.
Below are the slides from Sunday's lesson.


No comments:
Post a Comment